All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lithium camera batteries AA. Ouch!!

I am experimenting with rechargeable Lithium batteries. They cost $3.75 each ($15 per 4 pack) and come with the USB charger from Amazon.
IMG_0537.jpeg

I deployed these Nov 10 on a Muddy Matrix set for Instant video. Using Energizer AA alkaline I got 7 days on this setting which includes a warning about high battery consumption on instant mode. The camera is also set to take and transmit hi-resolution still pictures on surveillance mode. Regular (non-rechargeable) Lithiums gave onay 12 days service on this setting, which was very disappointing. These rechargeable lithiums provided 8 days. They recharge in a couple of hours, and put out 1.63 v, which is consistent among the 8 batteries.

Pros: Charge fast (2 hours). Life is between alkaline and non-rechargeable lithiums.
Cons: One battery did not take a charge—something I found only when I tried to power up the camera. Likely a connection issue, as I was able to recharge that battery back at home, but it does mean I need to check the voltage after charging.
Meh: The charger has green LEDs that blink when charging and are steady when charged. Not sure if I missed a blinking one or if it gave a false steady.

Conclusion: I am converting the camera to solar with a built in lithium battery. So far these work better than alkaline and almost as well as Lithium non-rechargeable lithiums. I will re-deploy these on a non-solar, non-instant picture camera.

Anyone done any shopping for lithium batteries lately?