Lightning Herbicide - Clearfield

Dukslayr

5 year old buck +
Before I ask this question I understand that everything relative to herbicide use should follow labeled uses and instructions...some of that is probably for good reason and sonevis probably financial. That being said I have a question (or a couple questions) for the group.

If anyone here has paid for and planted Clearfield hybrid sunflowers, have you ever tried Lightning herbicide on them instead of Beyond 1 AS? Beyond is beyond expensive (575 per gallon) and I’m not harvesting these sunflowers. I need to spray them for some broadleaf weeds and grasses but would really prefer not coughing up the crazy money for Beyond. The sunflowers I planted are Clearfield hybrids. Any suggestions or a substitute or ability to use lightning in place or Beyond? Lightning is showing only “Clearfield corn” but as I understand it, it should work for Clearfield sunflowers too?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks gang.

No is my short answer. Haven’t tried. But I did a quick look at keystone at the Beyond label.
Same exact main ingredient as Imox 12.1% Imazamox. For $200 less.

I saw nothing on the label about sunflowers. Checked the Raptor label which also has the same main ingredient. Nothing about sunflowers there either.

No is my short answer. Haven’t tried. But I did a quick look at keystone at the Beyond label.
Same exact main ingredient as Imox 12.1% Imazamox. For $200 less.

I saw nothing on the label about sunflowers. Checked the Raptor label which also has the same main ingredient. Nothing about sunflowers there either.
That’s the financial part is my guess. I’m going to use something other that Beyond and I will be happy to share results. If I kill the field and sunflowers it won’t be the end of the world. Just trying to figure out which roll of the dice I should try.

From everything I can gather the Imox should dig out for Beyond. I can do the whole 5 acres for 99 bucks so I can live with that for this experiment.

I’ve got some Nitro Surf coming as well so that that’ll be tank mixed with the Imox. For those of you who have used it, is there anything I’m missing that you would add?

My first time using it was a few weeks ago so no expert here. And I sprayed clover not sunflowers. But I added 1.7 lbs of ammonium sulfate (AMS)/acre and because the label called for crop oil I added some dawn dish detergent. Some people think Dawn is a bad idea because it takes a lot of rinse to get rid of the foam when you’re done and it may not be as good as crop oil.

My first time using it was a few weeks ago so no expert here. And I sprayed clover not sunflowers. But I added 1.7 lbs of ammonium sulfate (AMS)/acre and because the label called for crop oil I added some dawn dish detergent. Some people think Dawn is a bad idea because it takes a lot of rinse to get rid of the foam when you’re done and it may not be as good as crop oil.
Does the Nito Surf only replace the AMS? Glysophate is about the only herbicide I normally deal with so trying to make sure I do this right. The way I read it on Keystone the Nito Surf should get me squared away...but I may not have read it correctly.

Also, anyone know if there’s benefit (or even ability) to tank mix extra liquid fertilizer with Imox? I didn’t see anything about it in the label. Obviously the Nitro Surf has nitrogen but assuming it’s not enough/all I need. I’m light in fertilizer and instead of broadcasting some ahead of a rain I’m wondering about just adding some more when spraying.

I’ve never used nito surf but according to the label it’s is a replacement for AMS and surfactant (crop oil)

Can’t help with more liquid fertilizer other then AMS for better burn down I’ve never played with liquid fertilizer.

I’ve been planting Clearfield sunflowers for many years along with some other folks I know. I know that many are not labeled but my experience is that several herbicides in the imidazolinone family can be safely used Clearfield sunflowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk