All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Late Season Grouse

farmhunter

A good 3 year old buck
When I was younger I used to grouse hunt afternoons in the fall. Bow season wasn't as important to me then and I never worried about educating the deer. These days I rarely hunt grouse in the fall, as I don't like to be shooting in the field during deer bow season - so I try to get out for a late season hunt or two. So this past weekend I did get out for a bit. The birds flush wild this time of year - I think I put up 8 birds and I shot twice and got one. Not too bad.

January%202017%20Grouse_zpsajnuzomv.jpg

Sounds like a great hunt!

Nice! Is that and Ithaca 37?

it sure is an Ithaca 37 featherlight. Its my second one, my back up. My baby, my original - I wore out the forestock, and replacing it messed with the threads that hold it together. I need to get it fixed but in the meantime came across another a little newer. 40 years an Ithaca fan.

it sure is an Ithaca 37 featherlight. Its my second one, my back up. My baby, my original - I wore out the forestock, and replacing it messed with the threads that hold it together. I need to get it fixed but in the meantime came across another a little newer. 40 years an Ithaca fan.

That's awesome farmhunter. I have my grandfather's early 60's era 37 featherlight with the bird barrel and a deer barrel. I enjoy taking it out on a grouse or rabbit hunt. Not real good for deer by today's standards, but I do take it out during shotgun season when I am tracking deer in falling and blowing snow.

I tried an Ithaca 87 Deerslayer II in 16 gauge when they first came out in the late 90's. But with only a single slide for the action the fore-end rattled noisily quite a bit. It was unacceptable and I sold it. But without a doubt, that shotgun combined with Lightfield's 16 gauge sabot slug was the most accurate slug gun I have ever used.

Nice red phase bird !! I always thought they looked cooler than the gray phase. Great gun too. I have my Dad's 1950's era Ithaca 12 ga. I couldn't hazard a guess how many rabbits, grouse, and pheasants that thing took. Great to see an Ithaca in a pic with the coolest game bird - IMO. Thanks for sharing !!

I have a 12ga Ithaca Deerslayer II deluxe with the Monte Carlo stock, - Light-fields were indeed the best of the lot - but the BRIs in the early days of Rifled Barrel 12ga served me well. Mine was a little rattly - I know what you are saying. I retired it when CNY allowed rifle hunting. Not sure what to do with it now.

I was always intrigued by the red and gray phased birds. Of all the game animals, grouse was our only real upland game growing up - and to shoot one.....out of the air....... was like the ultimate. I rarely hunted with a dog, Had my own Brittany in the early 2000s - hes an old man now. I liked hunting with him - but I think I got more birds on my own.

sometimes we'd get the birds up into the hemlocks, he loved looking for them up there!

Ben%20Bird%20Hunting%202-04_zpsc6iy9lhe.jpg

Pretty Britt! Not many grouse around here but we used to do a lot of quail hunting. I had a semi trained German shorthair (my short comings, not his) or maybe my dog had a poorly trained hunter. I swear he'd look at me with a glance that said "Come on! How could you miss that one?" Wingshooting is an art in itself and a lot of fun. Sometimes I miss that dog and those days walking the field edges with him.