All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large Diameter Persimmon Tree | Graft??

TreesuitSC

5 year old buck +
I found a large male Persimon tree and feel it’s to big to graft as it’s probably a 12-14” tree.

Could I cut it at waist height then let it put off sprouts / new growth and then graft to that in a few years?

Not sure if a persimmon will sprout back like other trees do.

Any ideas?

That large I’d leave it be

I have around twenty that I cut off and grafted two years ago. The rossyanka that I cut scion from ended up having a lot of die back from -17 degrees, none of the grafts took. Going to graft them again this spring, some of the trees are on the larger end, those I will try to get multiple takes on. They typically send up plenty of limbs to graft on. Long term, I don't know how well they will do with such a large wound.20230218_071747.jpg20230218_071756.jpg

20230218_071831.jpg
20230218_072024_HDR.jpg

I have cut off larger males at the ground, usually the root systems will send up a lot of sprouts20230218_074626_HDR.jpg

Thank you Mozark.