Land in KY?

shawnv

5 year old buck +
Land prices seem reasonable and their herd seems to have quality and numbers. It just has me thinking why it's still flying somewhat under the radar or are there issues in Kentucky I am not aware of that makes it less desirable than other areas?

Well, the first thing you have to understand is that it all depends on what area of the state you are talking about. Western is totally different than Eastern, and other areas in between range between the two extremes. Eastern is mountainous wilderness with almost no ag. Western is heavy ag on mostly flat ground with less wilderness but plenty enough cover at many places. Most of the best deer come from Western, but Eastern is capable of monsters as well. Eastern is being further depressed by the "War on Coal" and in lots of areas the population is decreasing because of no work available.

And due to several other factors, 5 miles can make a difference between being at a poor deer area versus a top notch site. For instance, where I own land (South Central) we lack both ag and extensive cover. That's why I am so into habitat building - not because I'm in a great place, but because I am in a mediocre place. But within the same county there are some prized areas that have it all. Nevertheless, in 2013 I was able to harvest a buck from my place that won a local contest.

Weather is usually decent - but don't ask about this week. We just set record lows (-21), but two weeks ago I was working in shirt sleeves setting trees.

I don't know - its probably like lots of other places - if you find the right place its great, but it has issues like everywhere else.

If you have $400,000 to shell out for 58 acres, you can be my neighbor across the road. Why so high? Because of the monstrosity of a house on the land. Actually, its beautiful, but my guess he will have a heck of a time getting that when most of the surrounding houses are very modest.

Oh yea, its a one buck limit, and that isn't likely to change. But, that's fine with me.

Nice response, I guess I was browsing the properties from Western KY and up along the Ohio River Valley. Coming from there I am in WI, land like what I'm seeing for under $2k an acre seems "cheap".

How do people here view non-resident hunters/landowners?

Nice response, I guess I was browsing the properties from Western KY and up along the Ohio River Valley. Coming from there I am in WI, land like what I'm seeing for under $2k an acre seems "cheap".

How do people here view non-resident hunters/landowners?

In the area you are talking about, I think the view of non resident landowners would be better than average. It's more common in that area, and you are closer to larger metropolitan areas. The further you go north up the river, I would think it should be more that way. You can run into some diverse territory up in that area too. Plenty of mountains as well - although not like Eastern. Always a lot of nice deer from up in that area.