All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a couple of Crabs

greyphase

5 year old buck +
The Winter Wildlife crab reliably carries another fine crop of crabs.

002.jpg
\
Winter_Wildlife_Crab.jpg

Anybody have a Viola crab that is fruiting? Thought I was going to have a good crop but most dropped off with the June drop. Most of mine are an elongated crab.
Viola_Crab.jpg

Viola_Crab.jpg

Nice trees, Rick !! That Winter Wildlife crab is loaded. Ours are just starting to produce this year. Your pix give me a good feeling for the future of those WW crabs.
Our Violi's crab put on 2 apples this summer. I have yet to try one for taste - still turning reddish. Thanks for sharing the pix.

Winter Wildlife looks great, I'm going to have to ad a couple of those.

What nursery carries the winter wildlife crabs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What nursery carries the winter wildlife crabs?

I had gotten mine from St. Lawrence Nursery, but it isn't listed in their 2017 catalog.

^^^^^^ I was told ( back in February ) by Connor Hardiman, the new owner of SLN, that they would be grafting a batch of their regularly-carried crabs for the 2018 season. Winter Wildlife, All-Winter-Hangover, Violi's, Centennial, etc., should be available for next spring's order. FWIW.

^^^^^^ I was told ( back in February ) by Connor Hardiman, the new owner of SLN, that they would be grafting a batch of their regularly-carried crabs for the 2018 season. Winter Wildlife, All-Winter-Hangover, Violi's, Centennial, etc., should be available for next spring's order. FWIW.
SLN is now taking spring orders.

I’m having trouble seeing greys pics anymore. I remember this being a good one. Thought I’d bump it for the winter wildlife crowd

My winter wildlife crabs are some of the most vigorous trees in the fleet. Grow like weeds and pump out the fruit early and consistently.

I really hope grey can re-post pictures of the fruit on his winter wildlife, also the all winter hangover:emoji_relaxed:

I really hope grey can re-post pictures of the fruit on his winter wildlife, also the all winter hangover:emoji_relaxed:

I can't see them either. I tried in IE and Chrome.

I need to get a couple of those winter wildlife given what people are saying.

Hey guys

My Winter Wildlife crab has taken a "breather" this year and is carrying a light crop for the first time. My Viola crab while not carrying a heavy crop does have the best crop it's produced for me so far. Here's some pics of the Viola taken a couple of days ago.
viola_crab_bear_damage_005.jpg

viola_crab_bear_damage_003.jpg

viola_crab_bear_damage_012.jpg

Hey guys

My Winter Wildlife crab has taken a "breather" this year and is carrying a light crop for the first time. My Viola crab while not carrying a heavy crop does have the best crop it's produced for me so far. Here's some pics of the Viola taken a couple of days ago.
viola_crab_bear_damage_005.jpg

viola_crab_bear_damage_003.jpg

viola_crab_bear_damage_012.jpg

Have you tasted one?

Your Viola looks to be doing well. Nice sized fruit. Do they get any better for eating later ??

When you said your Winter Wildlife is taking a breather, I'll add this bit of info. Most of our regular apple trees must have been nipped with a late frost this past spring, as only a few had a couple apples. But our crabs have fruit and some of those have really good crops ( for their age ). The crabs just seem to grind it out each year - and without fussing over them. For wildlife, I don't think you can beat crabs. They just don't seem finicky.

Your Viola looks to be doing well. Nice sized fruit. Do they get any better for eating later ??

If I recall correctly the few from last year stayed bitter tasting. Anxious to see how long they hold on to the tree and how fast the deer eat them.

We have 1 Violi's crab at camp and it hasn't fruited yet. It's in a spot that gets some shade, so that may play a part in lack of fruit so far. It's on a sloping hillside behind the cabin along with a Centurion crab, a Whitney crab, a Chestnut crab, an unknown crab ( 1 1/2" fruit ), an unknown apple tree of 45+ years age, and a Prairie Spy apple tree. Hopefully we get the Viola to fruit next year.

We have 1 Violi's crab at camp and it hasn't fruited yet. It's in a spot that gets some shade, so that may play a part in lack of fruit so far. It's on a sloping hillside behind the cabin along with a Centurion crab, a Whitney crab, a Chestnut crab, an unknown crab ( 1 1/2" fruit ), an unknown apple tree of 45+ years age, and a Prairie Spy apple tree. Hopefully we get the Viola to fruit next year.

My violi’s has not fruited yet either.

Back in post #2 of this thread, I said our Violi's crab had put on 2 apples in 2017. It did. I didn't taste them then and they were gone on the next trip to camp.

In post #17 above, I said our Violi's hadn't fruited yet. I was wrong - it did in 2017, but none on it this year, that I saw. God knows what may have been on it that was picked or eaten by squirrels or deer. I'm anxious to try Violi's crabs myself.