Joining Nateb440 at the Boo-Hoo hunt

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
You're not alone Nate. A few weeks ago I placed a stand at the intersection of 2 woods roads in some heavy pines. I'd seen bucks cruising these roads over the years, staying in shadowy cover while keeping their noses to the ground. Stand location proved to be a good one.

At around 9:45 A.M., a nice 8 pt. came walking slowly down the one road toward the intersection. I have 2 shooting lanes - one straight in front of the stand, the other 45 degrees to my left. ( I'm a right-handed shooter. ) I had no time to draw for a shot straight in front of me, so as he passed a big hickory tree and a few smaller pines, I drew for a shot in the left shooting lane. He never knew I was there - completely relaxed. As I shifted my left boot for a better footing on the platform, a cleat on the heel of my boot caught the mesh floor and made a "pung" sound. He went on red alert and stared at the location of my ladder. He never looked up, but was rigid and tense, with 2 stomps of his foot. He was 15 yds. away at this point, and it looked as if he'd bolt any second. I thought I better shoot or he'd be gone. He was partially behind a couple short limbs I had cut off to create the left shooting lane. When I released, my arrow glanced off one of those limbs and dove downward into the ground. He jumped to the other side of the road and looked all around to see what just happened. I tried to knock another arrow to get another shot, but he eased into the trees on the other side of the woods road and walked away stiff-legged. He never ran or blew, but too many trees prevented another shot opportunity.

I was bummed, but felt it was a good morning after all. I was happy with my stand location selection, which softened the blow a bit. At least I know I have a chance at other cruising bucks there in the dark pines, given the history of sightings in past years.

Accepting bottles of home-made cider or even 4 ft. apple tree whips to console me !!

I hate to "like" that post but as I told Nate these encounters don't happen by accident. Good job. Hope you get another shot at him or an even better buck.

Bows- At least you got an opportunity at a nice buck. I’ve had years where I never got a visual on a nice buck, never mind a shot.

So many things have to come together for an arrow to find its mark on a mature buck. I've got a week to get it done here in Kentucky before gun season. The weather is terrible but looking great Wednesday through Friday. Regardless, it's the love of the hunt and the pleasure of sitting in their world that keeps us going. I saw a bobcat my last sit!

Thanks guys. The bummed feeling didn't last all that long. I laughed at myself for not cutting the offending limbs off flush with the trunk when I prepared the stand location. Piece of carpet gonna go on the platform so no more " pung " noises !!!