All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this Rush?

Tap

5 year old buck +
This stuff is on a friend's place in NW Pa and is taking over a pipe-line clover plot.
I've looked it up and I'm pretty certain it isn't sedge, but maybe in the rush family??
Any ideas what it is and how to fight it? They tried glyphosate and cleth...didn't work.
I think they would like to try to save the clover.
Thanks.
Sorry for the poor photo quality.

IMAG0169.jpg IMAG0171.jpg IMAG0172.jpg IMAG0173.jpg IMAG0175.jpg

I would guess it to be some sort of sedge - some retailers have sedge specific chemicals that you can get in small quantities and try it and see if that has an affect on it. I don't really know what you have there.

Is Sedge hammer the preferred herbicide for sedges?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Is Sedge hammer the preferred herbicide for sedges?

I have heard folks talk about it.....I have never used it.

I saw a product called Gordon's Trimec Nutsedge plus ......at my local Rural King that I though would do the trick......I have not investigated it much other than that. So PLEASE READ ANY LABEL BEFORE USING. I noticed it because of the small size - for a trial type situation. I'm sure some others will chime in as well.
nutsedge killer.jpg

Reactions: Tap

I saw a product called Gordon's Trimec Nutsedge plus ......at my local Rural King that I though would do the trick......I have not investigated it much other than that. So PLEASE READ ANY LABEL BEFORE USING. I noticed it because of the small size - for a trial type situation. I'm sure some others will chime in as well.
View attachment 10895
Thank you for the link.

View attachment 10895
Just checked the label to see if this is the same as sedgehammer...noticed it had 2-4d in it along with some other stuff...so I'm guessing it would smoke the clover.

Sedgehammer has Halosulfuron-methyl as the active ingredient.

Last edited:
Just checked the label to see if this is the same as sedgehammer...noticed it had 2-4d in it along with some other stuff...so I'm guessing it would smoke the clover.
I'm betting anything that will kill this stuff is gonna kill the clover, but I don't know that for sure...Lots of chemicals on the market these days.
The good news is he has a weed wiper so he can probably just hit the target weed.

I'm betting anything that will kill this stuff is gonna kill the clover, but I don't know that for sure...Lots of chemicals on the market these days.
The good news is he has a weed wiper so he can probably just hit the target weed.

Probably, was just reading some sedge product some say they control clover, some dont....didnt see clover listed in the sedgehammer label

You can read labels here
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/sedgehammer-herbicide-p-1348.html

I think I common rush in my food plots too, but its more sturdy and stands up more than your first picture. However, your final picture showing the seed heads does look like rush.

The latest thought is that it's Wool Grass, which is actually a sedge and not a grass.
The stem of this stuff is triangular. Does anything outside of the sedge family have triangular stems?

"Sedges have edges, rushes are round, grasses have knees that bend to the ground"

I am stealing that line stu!

"Sedges have edges, rushes are round, grasses have knees that bend to the ground"

I am stealing that line stu!
Thanks stu.
So, am I correct in assuming that there are no other NON SEDGE plants with triangular stems?
And there are sedge herbicides that are safe on clover. Keystone sells one.