Is this normal???

SWIFFY

5 year old buck +
I had a gift certificate this spring for a local nursery. I bought a Chesnut Crab apple tree about 9' tall for $60. This was about April 20th. I planted the same day, mulched, tree mat, tree tube, caged.... waited and waited and waited.... nothing. 9' of sticks. Early July I called the nursery and told them about it and they said to give it till next spring. I figured it was there way of brushing me off. I planted about a dozen other apple and crab trees the same time and they all blossomed and were doing great....

Well finally, August 3 I went to the back of the farm and my tree was filled with LEAVES!! I was so happy it wasnt a lost cause!

So is that normal for a spring "dormant" planted tree to finally blossom in AUGUST????

I had a keiffer pear that I bought from TSC the first year I planted fruit trees that didn't leaf out. I bought two, planted right next to each other, and one was fine while the other was a bust. July 4th I went to the store and they said they would refund me if I brought it back. So I went to dig it up the next week and found it JUST leafing out in mid-July. That tree has fruit on it this year and continues to grow well although it's always been a little behind the tree next to it.

It is transplant shock. Some trees are more sensitive than others. I had rootmaker pawpaw trees that were two growing seasons old when planted grow leaves initially when planted and then go dormant in the middle of the summer. The next spring they leafed out normally. Pawpaws are very sensitive to transplant. Depending on how the tree was stressed from when extracted and eventually planted, any tree could exhibit this.

I would not say it is common but it certainly happens.

Thanks,

Jack

They weren't trees but I bought some honey berry bushes from FF, kept them potted and within a month they dried up and died; same deal wanted to take them back and they said give them a year.... well I had tossed them next to the compost pile - being dead and all. By next summer (had forgotten to return them) I rediscovered them lying on their sides fully leaved out and growing... never did a thing for them and they survived - still going strong today.

I had a pear tree I planted as a dormant whip last fall never wake up this spring, ended up taking cage off it and using it for another tree.
Then in mid July out of nowhere it starts sprouting leaves all over it? I couldn't believe it, I had never seen anything like that before ended up re-caging it and it is doing great.
Just a late sleeper I guess?