All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iowa, Rain, Back Plot Waiting

Steven Tolly

5 year old buck +
Ok I have talked about this plot a few times on here, it is my back plot across the creek, only accessible by 4 wheeler. It is 3 acres in the middle of a 20 year old CRP field, not what I would call well drained, but usually dry. This year who knows. It was mowed last spring, sprayed and killed and we planted rye in it in september and the deer loved it. Still eating it.

I was hoping to get a soil test this weekend and spray it. With all the rain we have had i doubt that happens. So now I will be pushed a week or two until I can get across the creek to spray, wait two weeks and spray again. Then my hopes were to broadcast seed, drag a harrow and call it good. With the rain i will be pushing things back a bit. I have two mixes of seed I already got from a Pheasants forever ( I would like a little pheasant food back here) and one is clover. One is their clover mix (Ladino white, med red, alslike, arrowleaf, berseem, crimson, alfalfa) the other one is a Rooster Booster (sorgum, corn, millet, buckwheat). I was hoping to plant the taller rooster booster on the open field side to give them some cover and the clover closer to fence row and stands.

So now my plan wait till next weekend or two pull soil sample and spray, but it might be June before I get everything on the ground? So Should I wait? LEt the Rye Go and spray it in August to plant in september or try to get something down now?

Or spray it now and maybe again July then one last time late august to prep for September Planting.

I figured at some point I would throw some rye in. It was great for us last year.

My other three plots are all about 3 acres in size and were just tilled. They are getting beans with rye in september. I could put some of the pheasant seed or clover in them if that is a good idea.

Thoughts?

I’d try to,spring plant with a backup of radish,rape and purple top turnips in mid August.
Won’t do anything for the birds but the deer may like it.

If it were me and you said the deer hammered the rye, I would sit back and do nothing until mid August and then go in there and mow the plot off and walk away.