ID this Forb

It's official.

Tracked down the spreadsheet of my spring 2022 grass/forb planting. I had Heliopsis helianthoides included from three different vendors; Ernst and Albert Lea called it Oxeye sunflower, and Stock had it as False Sunflower. Never saw it at all in 2022 or 2023, and it's pretty darn conspicuous - perhaps this means 2024 will also mark the appearance of other forbs I planted plenty of but never found, including Evening Primrose, New England Aster, Wild Bergamot, and Stiff Goldenrod.

Thanks gentlemen!

Last edited:
It's official.

Tracked down the spreadsheet of my spring 2022 grass/forb planting. I had Heliopsis helianthoides included from three different vendors; Ernst and Albert Lea called it Oxeye sunflower, and Stock had it as False Sunflower. Never saw it at all in 2022 or 2023, and it's pretty darn conspicuous - perhaps this means 2024 will also mark the appearance of other forbs I planted plenty of but never found, including Evening Primrose, New England Aster, Wild Bergamot, and Stiff Goldenrod.

Thanks gentlemen!

Since you are getting into prairies, you might enjoy the thread in the following link. Good luck.

Since you are getting into prairies, you might enjoy the thread in the following link. Good luck.

Thank you! Am currently devouring that thread!

I’ve done some other prairie plantings on my southern Michigan farm over the last 20 years and will be sharing some of what I have learned(much of it the hard way of course😎).

Pokeweed 32% crude protein. I encourage it to grow everywhere I can on my place.

It's official.

Thanks gentlemen!
Bergamot, golden rod and to a lesser extent, aster is verry prevalent in our prairie. Unfortunately so is reed canary grass. If I had the time i'd try to do something about it.

I’ve made a number of mistakes also but had some success. One of my favorites, Joe Pye weed.
IMG_3685.jpeg

It’s a gooder

Game cam pics, but year two of NWSG planting I did around two green fields. This past winter I broadcast forbs into it. Looks pretty good.

IMG_4443.jpegIMG_4444.jpeg

Stiff Goldenrod takes off big time the 2nd year from my experience.

The first photo almost reminds me of Prairie Ironweed