I love this forum! (and plant i.d. request!)

bigfatskinny

Yearling... With promise
I belong to a couple of Facebook habitat groups where all the people do is is argue and bitch about each other or try to sell you on why product A is better than blah, blah,blah. Thank you all for a place where people of all knowledge levels can feel free to ask questions and learn from each other. I really appreciate that. Speaking of learning, what's your best guess on this gorgeous plant that has taken over the North side of my woods? Central Michigan. Did I mention that you guys are great? Please and thanks, Dave.IMG_2016.JPGIMG_2016.JPG IMG_2017.JPGIMG_2016.JPGIMG_2016.JPG

Looks like buckthorn- invasive shrub.

Berries sure like buckthorn.

My vote is buckthorn too.

The easiest way to say for sure is to keep an eye on the plants this fall (I put an orange ribbon on them so I don't forget which one I was watching).

If they still have leaves after everything else has dropped their leaves its almost a guarantee it's buckthorn.

Hopefully you don't have too many of them if it is.

I only had a few, and I cut them off with a pruner, and painted the "stump" with straight 41% round-up. They were toast.

Oh, and by the way. Thanks for the kind words. It is pretty cool around here. Not all of the macho "online and 10 foot tall" stuff that seems to happen in other places.

-John

Yes I totally agree. I found this forum in the spring. Great group here.

Those pictures look like buckthorn. The dark purple berries and leaves look exactly like the buckthorn around here.
Is it a seedling? You might be able to pull it out by the roots if the soil is loose.

If there's a big one around, more than 3/8 diameter, it will likely resprout vigorously if you don't paint the stump with 30% round up or garlon.

Buckthorn...and the stuff takes over....

Thanks guys! Buck thorn it is. Looks like I got some work to do.