All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunting turkeys can be dangerous....

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
....especially if you try to eat my decoy.

dsqqXd9h.jpg

YerF9v4h.jpg

ZAFsflnh.jpg

Great bird. So you got the dog with your turkey load? Congrats buddy! My season opens this coming week. They don't seem to be in the immediate vicinity, but hopefully something happens anyway. I'll be out opening morning.

Great bird. So you got the dog with your turkey load? Congrats buddy! My season opens this coming week. They don't seem to be in the immediate vicinity, but hopefully something happens anyway. I'll be out opening morning.

Thanks Mortenson. Yes, I'm shooting the 2.25 ounce Hevi-13 #6 load, and it smoked the yote on a chest shot at 25 yards. Two more seconds and I would be less one turkey decoy.

Great bird. Took one turkey and one turkey predator - paying back to the turkey flock

200 lb boar hog I killed with a load of #7, 3” TSS at about 18 yards. Turkey loads can be very lethal on a variety of game.

F2F13928-F923-4E0F-8237-4606280651BE.jpeg

Great bird. Took one turkey and one turkey predator - paying back to the turkey flock

200 lb boar hog I killed with a load of #7, 3” TSS at about 18 yards. Turkey loads can be very lethal on a variety of game.

View attachment 23680

Very lethal at close ranges!

Congrats! Before they sold to Remington heavy-shot was my go to shell for waterfowl. #6’s actually act like lead...

Oh heck yeah! I just wondered if he pulled out the dirty harry on the 'yote or had some other trick up his sleeve. That's a nice kill on that boar hog.

Congrats! Before they sold to Remington heavy-shot was my go to shell for waterfowl. #6’s actually act like lead...

They took it back from Remington a few years ago and now manufacture it themselves again. I like Remington shotguns, but their shotshells have no appeal to me at all.

They took it back from Remington a few years ago and now manufacture it themselves again. I like Remington shotguns, but their shotshells have no appeal to me at all.

I did not know that! Haven’t reall seriously duck hunted since I bought the farm. Where does the time go?

I did not know that! Haven’t reall seriously duck hunted since I bought the farm. Where does the time go?

Here is a link to their website. They make a lot of different stuff. Before Remington they contracted out to a company called Polywad. Now that guy flat knew how to load shells. I used to be friends with him but haven't talked to him in years.

https://www.hevishot.com/

Last edited:
Here is a link to their website. They make a lot of different stuff. Before Remington they contracted out to a company called Polywad. Now that guy flat knew how to load shells. I used to be friends with him but haven't talked to him in years.

https://www.hevishot.com/
Yep that’s the stuff I used. The old 2 3/4 #6.

Funny, the guys I hunted with Gave me a hard time once for using such expensive shells. I told them you drove your $8000 boat and motor out here wearing $300 waders a $250 parka with your $500 shotgun and you brought your $800 dog that eats a lot and needs to go to the vet every six months. Oh and you have $300 worth of decoys in the boat. But you’re shooting a $0.50 cent steel shot junk shell at the creature that made you spend all that money.

Who’s the dope?

Last edited:
I once past a coyote turkey hunting, because I didn't know if my turkey load would get the job done. If it happens again I am definitely taking the shot. I think the key is finding a shotgun shell that patterns the best out of your gun. My moss-berg likes Winchester upland game loads, I went through a lot of expensive shells testing patterns, before coming to that conclusion.

Heck of a day Native! Sheds, birds, and yotes!

If its a hog or a coyote, I think Id try whatever I had. My theory has always been, if you cant kill them you may as well ruin their day!

Dead coyote=good day in the woods!
I took my boy youth hunting last wk and had 3 gobblers working down a ridge top right toward us. They hung up at about 100 yards. Next thing I know they’re turkeys flying everywhere! 2 coyotes came through and busted them up. Yotes trotted past us at about 50 yards. I snatched my 7 yr olds 410 with tts loads and tried to squeak them in a bit closer with no luck. After all said an done I had one Tom stay in a pine tree for an hr an half. At least it was a memorable hunt