Hog manure - another question

Dukslayr

5 year old buck +
I was going to post my bean failure and then decided not to complicate things and make this its own post. While the farmer and I were doing a verbal autopsy of the bean failure we started discussing strategy for next year. First off, I’m going to have him plant whatever he is planting (brand/variety) of corn/beans next year. Much easier that way for him. Second we started talking about my potential desire to plant corn and fertilizer needs. This farmer also runs a couple of hog operations and has an abundance of hog manure. He has a spreader (some sort of a knife type that “no tills” the manure into the ground). He uses the manure on his bean and corn fields each year and supposedly has good results. He’s going to do all of my fields with it for free. So if we plant corn (or beans again) we shouldn’t need to put down nitrogen with it. The only drawback I see is that the cart is very heavy and might have some soil compaction risks, and all the crops will no tilled. I don’t plan to turn the soil unless necessary for some reason. You all see any downside to going the free manure route? Anything I’m missing here?

I know a guy who is a well off Hogg farmer. He buys farms and pays for them strictly by the yield increase he gets from his Hogg manure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a guy who is a well off Hogg farmer. He buys farms and pays for them strictly by the yield increase he gets from his Hogg manure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah my farmer (who is a very honest guy) said that many people would love to use hog manure it’s just not cost effective to buy, deliver and spread. I just happen to be down the street from him and since I’m letting him mow CRP (drought relief allowed mowing) for his cows I’m assuming he’s happy to let me have his crap.

My neighbor has a hog confine and one of those knife things and his beans always look great!

My neighbor has a hog confine and one of those knife things and his beans always look great!
Well he’s got so much of the stuff he’s going to knife it into the CRP I’m letting him mow (of course that’s going to help him next year) as well as all my food plots and my sunflowers field after I mow it. If it works well and is free I’m all for it. He said it’s really helped build the soil on some the marginal farms he’s got.

I know not to have your wife there for a picnic that day!
You ain't shitting (no pun intended)! I don’t plan to be back up for a couple week after he does that. He says the smell only lasts 3-4 days but I’m not buying that. Ha

I would pay good money to get finisher hog manure for my fields. Would be willing to pay well over $100/acre for a full shot. You may get a few extra weeds with manure, but its worth it. I wouldnt be one bit worried about compaction, especially if its dry. Millions of acres across the corn belt get hog manure applied every year and those fields have some of the best yields. Send him to me if there is any left over.

I would pay good money to get finisher hog manure for my fields. Would be willing to pay well over $100/acre for a full shot. You may get a few extra weeds with manure, but its worth it. I wouldnt be one bit worried about compaction, especially if its dry. Millions of acres across the corn belt get hog manure applied every year and those fields have some of the best yields. Send him to me if there is any left over.

Sounds like I might have lucked into a good partnership. Should cut my input costs down substantially since its free. Glad to hear this isn’t all that uncommon.