All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hinge thoughts

shawnv

5 year old buck +
I posted in my farm thread but I'm re-posting this here too for those that don't follow.

This is looking up from the new food plot area. Question is would you hinge cut the low end of the trees as a visual blockage for deer bedding above (area #4 see farm thread map) or just allow the natural vegetation to fill in? What is growing here will be 4-6ft tall by fall too. What I don't want to happen quite yet is that some deer decide to bed on this lower edge before I create further screening along the plot and I'm not sure that even a low cut blockade won't be used as back cover.

IMG_3474_zpsavb5cahn.jpg

I don't know. If the weeds and grasses will be 4 to 6 foot tall giving them a back drop is inviting young bucks especially to lay there in the field and soak up the afternoon sun. At least if your map is laid out with N on top.

I can't see how you get to either stand near FP 4 with out bumping someone.

Beautiful place by the way.

I don't know. If the weeds and grasses will be 4 to 6 foot tall giving them a back drop is inviting young bucks especially to lay there in the field and soak up the afternoon sun. At least if your map is laid out with N on top.

I can't see how you get to either stand near FP 4 with out bumping someone.

Beautiful place by the way.

Thanks!

You are looking at the North face in this picture and the growth does get that tall on this side by fall. The stands by #4, well the south one was going to be new this year as it is an area where the deer do not bed at the moment except for early summer when they are close to my back yard. That was a very easy access stand for evening hunts and the exit would be after the deer transitioned out to the larger fields. The other stand that is more north is a 1-2 sit, late pre-rut/rut stand. Last year I was able to drop below plots #4 along that tree line in the morning and enter that stand without bumping any deer. This year if it's hunted at all I will come from the back side in the morning should I want to hunt in and around the bedding area but most likely it won't be hunted at all. This area for plot #4 will now be all bedding with no food.

The new stand is going to be along the new plot "FP" at the East end where the plot pinches in. My access to this point should not be visible to any deer laying along that edge shown in the picture, it will be close but from what I can tell I will be just out of sight, sound and smell. It won't be a morning stand that is a given. When trying to maximize small parcels like mine it creates a very small gap between where you have deer and where you are able to slip past them but it can be done.