Hazel Nuts - (Select posts from a QDMA forum thread)

Looking at a quick glance over your older posts I see reference to UNL and hazelnuts. They do have an ongoing project to develop new hazlenut varieties. I think they are looking at trying to make them commercial crop worthy in more areas of the USA. I emailed one of the parties envolved awhile back and they said they were aways away from making them available to the public. I cant remember the exact time line.

I think that reference came from Strmchaser on the other forum. As I recall, he suggested them as some resource but I found nothing when I googled them.

Thanks,

Jack

Just a recent updated picture of my hazelnuts:

85d749f5-adb0-41bb-a88f-c4d21342c23c.jpg

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
Updated Picture Links

Thanks Jack for documenting all of this. I am going to try and revive this thread.

I have about 100 hazelnut seeds in the fridge stratifying currently (50 or so are in sphagnum peat moss). I am planning on getting some started by seed under lights later this spring after about 100 days or so in cold storage. Has anyone else had any success getting some started? I know several have had luck propagating from the this thread, but I was hoping to try and get some established by seed from zero.

I also ordered 25 bare root seedlings from MDC. I'd like to get many more going because a new farm purchase sets up really well for quail habitat and I am trying to learn more about these plants.

Thanks Jack for documenting all of this. I am going to try and revive this thread.

I have about 100 hazelnut seeds in the fridge stratifying currently (50 or so are in sphagnum peat moss). I am planning on getting some started by seed under lights later this spring after about 100 days or so in cold storage. Has anyone else had any success getting some started? I know several have had luck propagating from the this thread, but I was hoping to try and get some established by seed from zero.

I also ordered 25 bare root seedlings from MDC. I'd like to get many more going because a new farm purchase sets up really well for quail habitat and I am trying to learn more about these plants.

Happy to help!

I WISH we could plant hazelnuts at camp - but the bears would have them shredded, so it's no use to even try them. We tried elderberries and the bears tore those plants right out of the ground.

Anybody interested in some re-located bears??? No charge .................. FREE.

I have successfully started American Hazelnuts from seed, the success rate was high for germination with the American Hazelnuts. The larger European varieties didn't germinate near as well. I think I came to the conclusion that cracking the shell or somehow making a hole in the European varieties without actually damaging the inside would of improved germination.

I have successfully started American Hazelnuts from seed, the success rate was high for germination with the American Hazelnuts. The larger European varieties didn't germinate near as well. I think I came to the conclusion that cracking the shell or somehow making a hole in the European varieties without actually damaging the inside would of improved germination.
Thanks for the feedback.

Did you plant first year seedlings in the field? Did you use tree tubes or any other form of tree protection?

Thanks for the feedback.

Did you plant first year seedlings in the field? Did you use tree tubes or any other form of tree protection?
I did plant some first year seedlings in the field, they have a cage around them and a weed mat. I think I planted them in the spring of 2019. I think a few of them will have catkins this year.

I did plant some first year seedlings in the field, they have a cage around them and a weed mat. I think I planted them in the spring of 2019. I think a few of them will have catkins this year.
I'm going to plant some seedlings in and out of tree tubes but not likely have the resources for cages. I am going to try and direct plant some unprotected seed and seedlings as well. I have read conflicting accounts online of deer preference for hazelnut leaves and stems. Here is a link to a study that compared browse pressure by deer on various woody plants. Seems like hazelnut is comparable to dogwood or American plums, which doesn't help all that much because the plums aren't touched in our area but every dogwood gets browsed.

I'm going to plant some seedlings in and out of tree tubes but not likely have the resources for cages. I am going to try and direct plant some unprotected seed and seedlings as well. I have read conflicting accounts online of deer preference for hazelnut leaves and stems. Here is a link to a study that compared browse pressure by deer on various woody plants. Seems like hazelnut is comparable to dogwood or American plums, which doesn't help all that much because the plums aren't touched in our area but every dogwood gets browsed.
I cant weigh in on unprotected hazelnuts, I would suggest using some sort of protection on as many as you can though. Even if its only a 2' tube.

I did tubes on hazelnuts years ago but now only do cages since any root suckers outside the tube would get browsed right away and losing the chance to get them to spread a bit on their own. Count me as the browse like dogwood side of the fence.