Gwarf Goldrush didn't come out of Dormancy

OhioJeremy

A good 3 year old buck
I planted a Dwarf Goldrush apple this spring around mid April and it hasn't shown any signs of life. There is some growth coming from the root's and I also performed a scratch test near the top and it had green tissue underneath. Would I consider this tree still alive? if it is still alive, why doesn't it have any growth? Other varieties I planted at the same time, Winesap, Gala, Lodi and Honeycrisp are all thriving and leafed out very well.

Attachments

• 20180703_183907 (1).jpg
    20180703_183907 (1).jpg
    857.5 KB · Views: 12
I planted a Sugar Sweet pear from Stark last November, it never woke up this spring... all the rest planted same time woke up fine and are doing great. Ended up pulling the cage off it and using on a chestnut tree a month and a half ago.
Was out doing a little spraying this past Sunday and that pear tree has just started to push leaves? I don't get that one at all...I guess you never know.

Mother Nature does some odd things every once in awhile. For whatever reason trees can sometimes get fooled into thinking that its the dormant season when its not. Chill hours affect when a tree breaks dormancy, your Goldrush may not have gotten enough chill hours wherever it was held over winter.