Grafting Persimmons GA

Kdog

5 year old buck +
Been a while since I have grafted anything (~20 years) but plan to graft some persimmons tomorrow. Have my scion soaking and everything ready to load up in the morning. Will post pics and hopefully progress in the near future.

My persimmon grafting last year was an unmitigated disaster, I’d had a ton of success on pears and apples and even wild plums, but my take rate on persimmons was abysmal. Would love to see your technique and results, good or bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I looked back and it was 14 years ago. Just going to bark graft some over sized male trees in the pasture and see if I can find some smaller ones to graft.

Probably should have done it but felt like I was a week or so early. Unfortunately two of my marked trees have died, and one of the others is not looking great. They have wet feet where they are, so not sure how long they will last. Will try again in a couple weeks.

My pears and apples look great with the exception of a little frost damage on two pears.

Native Hunter always mentions this, but stake those persimmon grafts

I lost pretty much all of my successful "takes" last year due to storms as they had no support

bill

Cut down three dead ones and one that looked bad that I had marked. Ended up grafting two older ones in the pasture with Deer Magnet and Deer Candy that were both about 10-12" in diameter. Also checked my chestnuts and all are loaded with tassels, so should be a good year for them.

Here are pics of one of the persimmons. I will add supports in a few weeks once I confirm the grafts take.

I did it for first time last year. Had good success.

Those stumps will sucker like a mug. You’ll want to go to them often a pinch off lower growth.

Good luck! Learned it all on this board.

My persimmon grafting last year was an unmitigated disaster, I’d had a ton of success on pears and apples and even wild plums, but my take rate on persimmons was abysmal. Would love to see your technique and results, good or bad.

My bark grafts were very successfull and I was a first time grafter. I am curious what your issues were. I cut my own scions the year after I bought some and didn’t do well with those but the scions I purchased did great. I think I did poor with the collection and storage.

This was shared on another forum that I visit and is how I do bark grafts. If done at the right time, I have had 95% plus success. Note that I use what I have on hand and have never used a grafting knife despite grafting who knows ow many trees.

Last edited: