All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to War with borers

Peeps

5 year old buck +
I lost 2 trees this summer and I’m pretty sure it was from borers which I’ve never had a problem with before. I also found a few holes in another tree as well. That one’s still alive. With my schedule and weather I wasn’t able to keep up with my spray schedule this year as well as I like. My plan going forward is to paint all the trunks with the latex, joint compound, and permethrin mixture and make it a priority next year to get up there to spray every 10-14 days. Lost another tree from bears and had others damaged from them but I’m a little limited on fighting that problem.

I have a lot of problems with pine borers this year. They are damaging a lot of my pines.

You can save that one tree yet if you use a systemic pesticide on it asap... Follow the direction as this product is mixed with water and applied to the roots. Bonide makes a good one, but I'm sure there are others. I had a problem with borers on one of my properties. I used a half gallon of "good" exterior acrylic latex paint, 1/2 bottle of seven dust, 1 oz of permethrin, and a quart of water, all mixed. I coated the main trunk as far as I could reach with no ill effects on the trees. I haven't lost a tree since!