All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gly for basal spraying ?

bigeight

5 year old buck +
I always use 3:1 garlon 4 and diesel fuel for basal spraying buckthorn and autumn olive.
Is glyphoste an alternative that is affective? If so, what rate do you mix it at ?
Thanks

Last winter I cut out a patch of 4-6" Black Locust (what a PITA!) and painted the stump with straight 41% Gly and blue food coloring (so I can see which stumps I treated). I am happy to say I have 100% success and no new suckers.

That was a stump treatment though, not sure if the results would be the same with basal.

Usually I use Tordon for a "hack n' squirt"...

I would have to look at the label for gly to see what it says - I have never used it in that manner personally.

As far as I know, glyphosate doesn't dissolve in oil well enough for using in basal bark applications. It will work for hack and squirt or cut stump though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless i have drilled into the base of the tree and used full strength gly, I have had no luck.

I have used diesel & Garlon4 at 3:1 diesel heavy on buckthorn with great success. I put it if a cleaned out dish soap bottle and run a ring about 4-6" above the root collar of the tree.

be careful, the garlon4 will get into the soil and can attack other freindly trees & shrubs.

As far as I know, glyphosate doesn't dissolve in oil well enough for using in basal bark applications.
This.^