Franklin growing nice and clean

I agree with CC. I see your 18.5 Brix - I raise and call with 20Brix. Any guesses on the variety?
Zumi-sugar.JPG

What is the standard method to measure Brix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A hydrometer (shown). I would take that reading to be 1084. Use a conversion to Brix calculator (brewersfriend.com) gets you to Brix. Sugar is and can be measured using either the numerical (1084) or the Brix chart which I think is an older method but very common.

A hydrometer (shown). I would take that reading to be 1084. Use a conversion to Brix calculator (brewersfriend.com) gets you to Brix. Sugar is and can be measured using either the numerical (1084) or the Brix chart which I think is an older method but very common.

Has anyone run it on early ripe versus watercore of a specific apple variety?

too much sugar, let the yeast feast begin.........

I can tell you this - timing matters. I just scratted and pressed some Dabinette on 12oct19. It measured at 1054 sugar. Last year my notes say a scrat-&press on 25oct18 same tree and the sugar was at 1060...quite a few points higher. Now years matter, weather matters...but I think timing is the key and "super-ripe" is the right time. But, if they are falling on the ground it's Go-Time for me.

I can tell you this - timing matters. I just scratted and pressed some Dabinette on 12oct19. It measured at 1054 sugar. Last year my notes say a scrat-&press on 25oct18 same tree and the sugar was at 1060...quite a few points higher. Now years matter, weather matters...but I think timing is the key and "super-ripe" is the right time. But, if they are falling on the ground it's Go-Time for me.

I just read a link where stressed apples with disease have higher amounts of sugar and higher amounts of antioxidants.

I guess the wormy ones have added protein??

Gross! So far I’ve put the effort in for a craft/artisanal cider. The best, most sound, ripest, cleanest -but they are at least getting hosed down. At least I know what I’m drinking.