For Kerr Crab Seekers

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Walden Heights Nursery in Vermont carries Kerr crabs. I saw some guys were disappointed that SLN didn't have Kerr on their list this year. I know Walden has them, thus this post.

They are organic and pretty far north. I’d imagine their stuff will be pretty small

They show out of stock. I have been watching their website all fall as well. Hopefully they haven't listed their 2019 stock yet.

I believe their Kerr's are seedlings (not grafted).

Walden may be out of Kerr stock now, but they've carried Kerr for some years now. They are seedlings, as they've noted on their site.

I have a call in to them and expect to hear back from the owner shortly today.

Last edited:
What are the chances that a Kerr seedling will make a standard Kerr apple?

I planted a couple dozen red splendor crabapple seedlings and their fruit is all over the map. Some are the standard 3/8" red fruits that I was looking for and some are 1" yellow crabapples. The rest fall somewhere in between. I would expect to see quite a bit of variance in Kerr seedlings as well, but who knows.

I think seedling trees are fine if any old apple will do, but if you are looking for a specific type of apple then a grafted tree is the way to go.

If someone wants some Kerr scions this winter please let me know. Kerr have been a great apple for me. I've purchased a few and grafted a bunch more.

What are the chances that a Kerr seedling will make a standard Kerr apple?

I planted a couple dozen red splendor crabapple seedlings and their fruit is all over the map. Some are the standard 3/8" red fruits that I was looking for and some are 1" yellow crabapples. The rest fall somewhere in between. I would expect to see quite a bit of variance in Kerr seedlings as well, but who knows.

I think seedling trees are fine if any old apple will do, but if you are looking for a specific type of apple then a grafted tree is the way to go.

Dolgo seedlings are all over the map. Kerr is a cross of dolgo and haralson and that should be a fun experiment to grow them from seed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If someone wants some Kerr scions this winter please let me know. Kerr have been a great apple for me. I've purchased a few and grafted a bunch more.
I’ll definitely take a few Kerr scions this year as well as some other crabs if you wouldn’t mind. I’m planning on grafting several different crab varieties to a 20 year old crab in my yard that produces a heavy load of pea sized fruit

I’ll definitely take a few Kerr scions this year as well as some other crabs if you wouldn’t mind. I’m planning on grafting several different crab varieties to a 20 year old crab in my yard that produces a heavy load of pea sized fruit

Just send me a private message reminder on feb1. I typically prune between feb1-march1. But I'm not always good at keeping track of who wants what so a reminder on feb1 would be helpful. If anyone needs any other varieties too let me know what you are looking for. I probably have 75-100 varieties.