e fence question

Powder

5 year old buck +
I apologize if this isn't in the right section but I wasn't sure where to go with it.

I know many of you have electric fences around your plots. I'd like to build one myself but for a different purpose. Mine is just to go around my tent to keep bears out. There are units on the market already but they are like $300 and I'm thinking there is a cheaper way.

Any idea on what I could do or what I would need? Would it still end up costing me the same amount?

Thanks!

Cheaper ? Possibly, but if it were me I would rather actually deter a bear by using a decent solar charger that created the proper voltage required than to just piss him off. Bears have long hair and the voltage requirement to change ones mind easily exceeds that which is required to deter a shorter haired animal such as the whitetail trying to access a food plot.
If price is the main consideration than you may be better off armed with pepper spray and a weapon you are familiar with, if for nothing else than just to call a bluff or actually protect yourself if it comes down to that.
I have 10 acres + or - in food plots that are e-fenced using turbo tape, poly rope, step in posts, t-posts, and three separate solar chargers. I probably have around $1500 invested trying to keep deer out of my soybeans and corn for the time being. I wouldn't trust the 6000 volts present on each e-fence to stop even a small bear, if he were intent on causing damage to my body, lol.

Last edited: