All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom made musky lures

ruskbucks

5 year old buck +
A friend of mine was bored during covid and decided to try making his own musky lures. He made his first one's out of a old shovel handle. After a Lot of trial and errors he has them dialed in. He asked me what I wanted. I had him make a 14 inch lure similar to a 10 inch that is one of my favorites. It turned out awesome. 2 sided perch on one side, pike on the other.

Attachments

• 0402221056b_HDR.jpg
    0402221056b_HDR.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 0402221116.jpg
    0402221116.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 51
Cool! Have you tried pulling it? Ive made a bunch of custom musky lures. Its a lot easier to make them look good than make them run good! Im sure that Jake outta catch some fish... I like the 2 sided idea!

Cool! Have you tried pulling it? Ive made a bunch of custom musky lures. Its a lot easier to make them look good than make them run good! Im sure that Jake outta catch some fish... I like the 2 sided idea!
He tried it out before epoxy and paint. He sent a video of the action. It looked great. Along with mine he tested 10 different designs 6 ran good, 2 complete fails and 2 needed tuning. He was really happy with 60 % rate. He laughed and showed me a Lot that are just decorations.

A friend of mine was bored during covid and decided to try making his own musky lures. He made his first one's out of a old shovel handle. After a Lot of trial and errors he has them dialed in. He asked me what I wanted. I had him make a 14 inch lure similar to a 10 inch that is one of my favorites. It turned out awesome. 2 sided perch on one side, pike on the other.
Cool and quite well done! But...I'd be real careful of where that hook is hanging in the first pic. :emoji_laughing:

Cool and quite well done! But...I'd be real careful of where that hook is hanging in the first pic. :emoji_laughing:
Haha, didn't notice that is pretty close. The kid set it on my trucks back seat, I told him that wasn't a good spot. His lap could of been a worse spot for him.

He tried it out before epoxy and paint. He sent a video of the action. It looked great. Along with mine he tested 10 different designs 6 ran good, 2 complete fails and 2 needed tuning. He was really happy with 60 % rate. He laughed and showed me a Lot that are just decorations.
Yes... I have A LOT of decorations too! Haha. Good luck with it!

Looks great! That hairdoo has sconi written all over it :emoji_grin:
Lol, yes I think him and his redneck/ farmer/hunting/ fishing buddies are all part of the revive the mullet movement here in WI. Lol

That’s cool. How much for one that can be pulled at 7 - 10 mph and dive 10 to 20 feet? :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Doesn’t need paint or hooks. I’ll handle that.

That’s cool. How much for one that can be pulled at 7 - 10 mph and dive 10 to 20 feet? :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Doesn’t need paint or hooks. I’ll handle that.
I would have to check with him. Everybody is telling him to start selling them but he is worried about taking the fun out of it. This jake type is a slower side to side action, don't think it would work at those speeds. He has some others that would work. What would you be fishing for with it? Saltwater I take it?

I would have to check with him. Everybody is telling him to start selling them but he is worried about taking the fun out of it. This jake type is a slower side to side action, don't think it would work at those speeds. He has some others that would work. What would you be fishing for with it? Saltwater I take it?

Saltwater yes. tuna, Wahoo and maybe a Marlin. I'd probably have to run a braided wire through it for the hooks..

Wahoo is my favorite fish to eat. Haven't had it since I was in the islands...

Wahoo is my favorite fish to eat. Haven't had it since I was in the islands...
head south east. They tear them up out of Norfolk and the NC barrier islands.