All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coyote bedding down in a deer scrape

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
True story - this morning this coyote laid down in a deer scrape I was watching. A young buck had been at the scrape earlier. The coyote laid down right in the scrape. The young deer was coming back and didn't even know the coyote was laying there.

When I pulled the trigger, the deer was 15 feet away from the bedded yote. Proved not to be a good spot to take a short nap - but good for a long nap..............

Scrape after I removed coyote

LONG distance shot. He was bedded at the edge of the distant woods you see in the picture. All I could see was his head and half his neck. No problem for a Tikka 308.

That is awesome. Nice shot!!!

Man, those TIKAs are some gorgeous rifles...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else ever see a coyote bed down in a deer scrape?

Anyone else ever see a coyote bed down in a deer scrape?
Never seen one bedded anywhere. Except maybe laying in the sun in a field.

Never seen one bedded anywhere. Except maybe laying in the sun in a field.

That is the south side of the woods, so he was catching the sun well.

Not 1, but how about 3?

EK000346.JPG EK000386.JPG EK000404.JPG EK000511.JPG

They stayed in that scrape for 6 minutes at least.

And nice shot NH! I like the expression that it doesn't matter what you're hunting, when ya see a coyote it becomes a coyote hunt.

Perhaps it is their form of scent control...:D

Perhaps it is their form of scent control...:D
Well maybe not scent control, but like all dogs they will roll and lie in anything that has a strong odor.

Nice shot!

Tryin' to keep ahead of Dad ??? :D Nice shot, too !! Great use of lead. What was the distance, roughly ??

Tryin' to keep ahead of Dad ??? :D Nice shot, too !! Great use of lead. What was the distance, roughly ??

LOL, you know I had to call him from the stand. He was laughing like a little kid when I told him about the yote. :D

Forgot to answer your question about the distance...... Right at 240 yards. If you look closely you can see small cedar tree at the edge of the woods - the coyote was just about 15 feet to the right of that tree. I think the rangefinder shows 238 yards to the cedar.

Locally, I have witnessed numerous red fox lying in and even rolling around in scrapes. I guess it is a canine thing. I had a lab many years ago that loved to roll in road kills. The worse it smelled, the more he seemed to like it.