All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can a graft outgrow the rootstock?

sandbur

5 year old buck +
I am not sure how to ask this question. Stuart and I have discussed it. Maya and I might have touched on it.

If you have a scion from a larger domestic apple and put it on a crab rootstock, can the topworked portion or the scion/cleft graft outgrow the rootstock?

I realize tree vigor is involved in part of this.

When asking about crab rootstock, think of the red splendor crab or something similar as rootstock.

Many of our wild crabs resemble red splendor in tree size and growth habit of branches.

If you mean will the diameter of the scion exceed the diameter of the root stock? Then yes.

If you mean will the diameter of the scion exceed the diameter of the root stock? Then yes.
Will that hurt the tree in the long run? I had one of last year's trees get gnawed 3/4's of the way around the trunk, I should have put screen around it the day I set it out. It was barked to ground level so I used a one year old crab seedling I had in a pot to graft above the damage.

I have this happening with a B118 grafted to a CrazyEd Airport apple scion. This is the only tree I've had like this and don't know why it happening. I would think a B118 rootstock could keep up with any scion grafted to it.
006_zps3yd4hzcr.jpg

004_zps3brghole.jpg

It will be interesting to see just what happens to this tree. I've grafted another one this spring so I don't lose this variety.

I have this happening with a B118 grafted to a CrazyEd Airport apple scion. This is the only tree I've had like this and don't know why it happening. I would think a B118 rootstock could keep up with any scion grafted to it.
006_zps3yd4hzcr.jpg

004_zps3brghole.jpg

It will be interesting to see just what happens to this tree. I've grafted another one this spring so I don't lose this variety.

That is what I was thinking about. I have fears that a heavy fruit load or wind will snap it off.

Do you guys have any updates on your trees? I believe I have a Betsy deaton out growinf a bud 118. Rootstock I haven’t decided what to do yet but have a good idea.

Attachments

• 9D6665AB-9A66-41C7-ADCE-E81BD6A684A1.jpeg
    9D6665AB-9A66-41C7-ADCE-E81BD6A684A1.jpeg
    453.9 KB · Views: 23
Not all graft unions are compatible. As you found out.
Is it possible the rootstock is not B118, but some smaller rootstock?

I am not sure how to ask this question. Stuart and I have discussed it. Maya and I might have touched on it.

If you have a scion from a larger domestic apple and put it on a crab rootstock, can the topworked portion or the scion/cleft graft outgrow the rootstock?

I realize tree vigor is involved in part of this.

When asking about crab rootstock, think of the red splendor crab or something similar as rootstock.

Many of our wild crabs resemble red splendor in tree size and growth habit of branches.

I can't speak to apples, but it is common with some trees. I played with grafting pecan to hickory. As I was doing research on that, I found it was a common issue as trees aged.

Thanks,

jack

I’m not 100 percent sure the rootstock is b118. I got it from williamette and they could have sent me some different rootstocks by mistake. Best I remember they had that red color when I grafted them so it’s atleast some type of bud series.

Yes the scion can out grow the rootstock and as was mentioned their can be compatibility issues with some rootstocks as well. Giving you a bulge at the graft union. The "B" series root stocks tend to have pretty dark (reddish / brown) bark, I dont see that characteristic in your picture.

When I grafted them they had a reddish bark I believe it was some of the first grafts I did because I was expecting the fresh cuts to be green. Will this be a long term problem if left to itself?