All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Browning Dark Ops Eating Batteries

PatinPA

5 year old buck +
I have a Browning Dark Ops that I really like. It's worked fantastic for years. I put Energizer Max batteries in it. I have always been amazed how good this camera is on batteries. One day I checked it and it was dead. No problem. I didn't have any Energizers on me so I just put some cheap amazon batteries in it. Figured they would be fine until I got some more good batteries. Checked it the following week. Dead. Hmm maybe the batteries were bad. Still only had amazons to I put them in. Checked it again later. Down to 40% in a few days. Put brand new just bought batteries in it last week. It's down to 53% battery life already. It only took 3 pics last week. Anyone else ever have this problem. I'm going to pull the camera and see if the firmware needs updated. The camera is 4-5 years old.

I haven't had great luck with Browning Trail cameras. Bought one in 2021 forgot the model but it was a cheaper one around $100 and the battery tray would pop out, so I returned it. In 2022 I bought a Browning Dark Ops HD at Tractor supply for $129.00 I was very pleased with the picture and video quality HOWEVER after 5-6 months of being out in the field the camera started to make a "clicking" sound when starting to record a video or Taking a picture. Luckily it was under warranty, I sent it in and they sent me a new camera,.

I loved that Dark Ops. Crystal clear videos and pictures. It worked great for 4-5 years then just died. I sent it back and they said they couldn't fix it but offered me a discount on a new one. The discount ended up still being more than I could buy them off Amazon. I bought my dad one of the cheaper ones ($100). It was junk. It never takes night pics.

I’ve had good luck with my Browning cameras. Good battery life, decent pictures. Haven’t experienced your situation before.

I loved that Dark Ops. Crystal clear videos and pictures. It worked great for 4-5 years then just died. I sent it back and they said they couldn't fix it but offered me a discount on a new one. The discount ended up still being more than I could buy them off Amazon. I bought my dad one of the cheaper ones ($100). It was junk. It never takes night pics.
Good to know. I was so pleased with my first Dark Ops picture and video quality , that I went out and bought a 2 nd one . So far no problems with that one , and I won't be trying out the replacement until July-August. So I really can't complain since they replaced my 6-7 month old camera with a new one...but it cost me $9.00 shipping. I'll see how long these two Brownings last before buying any more. I know Wildgame Innovations gets a bad rap a lot of times...BUT I've had great luck with their Lights Out Models in the $75- $100 range

Good to know. I was so pleased with my first Dark Ops picture and video quality , that I went out and bought a 2 nd one . So far no problems with that one , and I won't be trying out the replacement until July-August. So I really can't complain since they replaced my 6-7 month old camera with a new one...but it cost me $9.00 shipping. I'll see how long these two Brownings last before buying any more. I know Wildgame Innovations gets a bad rap a lot of times...BUT I've had great luck with their Lights Out Models in the $75- $100 range
I found a brand called Wosports on Amazon. They're dirt cheap and amazon offers a 3 or 5 year replacement for and extra $5. Daytime pics are good. Nighttime aren't the best. But they take a lot of pictures so I don't think they miss much. I have 4 now. One of the smaller ones died. But the other 3 are 1-3 years old and still going strong. Battery life is ok. I don't notice much of a difference between those and my older cuddebacks.
01090011.JPG
01060011.JPG
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09BKHDLJH?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Attachments

• 00000075.JPG
    00000075.JPG
    326 KB · Views: 1
I’ve had good luck with my Browning cameras. Good battery life, decent pictures. Haven’t experienced your situation before.
I could be wrong , but I think My first Browning was a Command Ops. Either way it was a lower priced entry model...and the first time I went to use it , as I'm strapping it to the tree and the battery tray falls out !. I returned it that day to Tractor supply, and a few weeks to months later I started seeing reviews of people having the same problem with that model. The 2022 Dark Ops HD was awesome...but 6 months or so out in the field when starting to record in video mode The deer would be startled and look right at the camera,. I walked in front of the camera and I could here a "click" when starting to record or when taking a picture. Hopefully that was just a lemon .

I found a brand called Wosports on Amazon. They're dirt cheap and amazon offers a 3 or 5 year replacement for and extra $5. Daytime pics are good. Nighttime aren't the best. But they take a lot of pictures so I don't think they miss much. I have 4 now. One of the smaller ones died. But the other 3 are 1-3 years old and still going strong. Battery life is ok. I don't notice much of a difference between those and my older cuddebacks.
View attachment 49202
View attachment 49213
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09BKHDLJH?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Nice Pics especially for $53 , if one craps out it's not as bad as if it was a $100 -$129 camera . I got a Apeman ? off Amazon it's decent as well...probably in that $50 range