Best Source For Hybrid Willow Cuttings

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
I am looking for a good source of hybrid will cuttings. Amazon has some options, but I am checking to see if anyone on here has a reputable dealer they use. Thanks.

VV

I bought a bunch from bigrocktrees.com before John sold it. Same tree source so their probably still good cuttings.

You don’t need many, you’ll be able to get multiple cutting next year from one you plant this year.

I bought a bunch from bigrocktrees.com before John sold it. Same tree source so their probably still good cuttings.

You don’t need many, you’ll be able to get multiple cutting next year from one you plant this year.
So as long as you protect them. I didnt and mine were eaten.

Only problem with big rock trees is they are $2.50 ea and most of the other amazon or ebay ones can be had pretty easily for $1 or less.

I did order some of the cheaper ones last year, let them sit for too long, and just stabbed them into the ground by the house. Success was not good but almost all the ones that took got crushed by rabbits or deer anyway. Maybe the big rock ones would have performed better but it's hard to say.

I have tried a lot of cuttings and have had poor success. Personally I would go with seedlings. You can get 2'-3' seedings from Cold Nursery at $0.90 ea for 100. I have had much better success.

Last edited:
Big Rock. Tom will actually talk to you on the phone. Try that on Amazon.

30197459-D2CD-4E5C-95AC-2154F60DDEBD.jpeg

Thanks for all the responses guys.

One way to increase some of the success is to pot them out and baby them for a year they grow fast and will put on roots under a bit more controlled setting. and yes wildlife is a big pain - munch munch rub rub....

I would try and take some cuttings, you wont need many and you can have a source for years,.... ask around someone you know likely has a tree or a row of them... its a simple process

One way to increase some of the success is to pot them out and baby them for a year they grow fast and will put on roots under a bit more controlled setting. and yes wildlife is a big pain - munch munch rub rub....

I would try and take some cuttings, you wont need many and you can have a source for years,.... ask around someone you know likely has a tree or a row of them... its a simple process

How large of a pot would you suggest? Thanks.

VV

I have gone to using 6x16 inch tree pots for almost everything, I make a rack system and keep them in my garden/nursery then heel them in the fall and transplant after a year or two. Direct planting is easier if you can get them to survive. But this way gets them a leg up and some size (trunk caliper and roots systems) plus being container grown I can plant them when ever I want, dormant or non dormant. I wouldnt spend a fortune on willow cuttings or popular cutting containers anything you can find to put them in will work. Opinions will very on containers/ air rooting/ etc.. this just has and is working well for me for my apples and cuttings, just another option.

If your doing this year to year then I would recommend something along the lines of tree pots - the ones I use are the 6 x 16 tree pots like those sold at greenhouse mega store - not necessarily endorsing them get them were you can find them cheapest ....