All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Catfish prep and recipe?

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Hey guys and gals what do you feel is the best method of prep for channel catfish and then your favorite recipe? We caught some good eating size fish last night and what to make the most of them as we have family gathering this coming weekend. I am not picky when it comes to fish, but others in my family give catfish the thumbs down whenever they eat it.

Hang them and cut their tail off to bleed them. Cut out any red meat after cleaning them. Cube into 1 inch chunks. Shake the chunks in a 1 gallon zip lock bag filled with flower, salt, and pepper. Fry.

I don't know how many times I've given this to people who don't like fish or say they only like crappie and eyes only to have them say it's the best fish they've ever eaten.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Don't forget to trim the yellow along their back also, it really shows up after soaking in cold salt water.
I really like this mix for all fish.
250a10f1e0507d6d29bf4a79d625acf8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you keep them cold from the minute you catch them. If you don't have an electric fillet knife, get one. Running the knife high off the skin leaves a majority of the red meat on the skin. Make V shaped cut to remove the remaining red meat. Each fillet should now be in two long strips. Cut off any yellow meat and discard. Rinse and then slice good meat into chunks about the size of a chicken nugget from McDonald's. Soak chunks in milk for 24 hours if possible. Pat dry and toss into large ziplock bag with shore lunch Cajun breading. Pan or deep fry until golden brown. Make sure oil is hot enough or fish will absorb to much oil and become soggy.

Here is a great video on how to clean a channel cat. Start watching at the 1:15 mark.

I like to fillet and then cut fillets into 2-3 pieces. Then trim the yellow off on channels. I don't trim for me but a lot of ppl don't like the off colored meat so if feeding others I'd trim. I batter by mixing yellow corn mill and Tony chacheres and a little old bay. But any season you like will work. Takes a lot of seasoning in the corn mill. As far as cooking we get oil to around 400 and cook until floats. Should be 3-5 mins.

Make sure you keep them cold from the minute you catch them.

Single most important thing you can do to offer guests the best quality fish you can. Bleeding any fish you intend to keep I would put at a very close second.
I like to add a little Panko to my flour or cornmeal mix as well. I like Fryn Magic. Most any seasoning you like will work. I like Tony C, lemon pepper, and garlic salt. I'll also do red pepper flake or cayenne as I like mine a little spicy.

I know a couple of guys that have artesian wells that run into cow tanks and they let the catfish sit in there for a few days after they are caught to "rinse" them out.

I like to fillet and then cut fillets into 2-3 pieces. Then trim the yellow off on channels. I don't trim for me but a lot of ppl don't like the off colored meat so if feeding others I'd trim. I batter by mixing yellow corn mill and Tony chacheres and a little old bay. But any season you like will work. Takes a lot of seasoning in the corn mill. As far as cooking we get oil to around 400 and cook until floats. Should be 3-5 mins.

That's about how I do it. I add a good hand full of saltine crackers I've crushed up very fine to the cornmeal. Before I batter them I dip them in pet milk that I've beaten an egg yolk in to help make the batter stick.

Thanks for the tips thus far! I treated them good from the start, they went into a cooler with ice as soon as we were back at the boat ramp. Filleted them this morning and cut off the yellow meat as I went. We will see if I make it to town before the weekend to look for any corn flower or such. Usually mix enough beer with pancake batter and some seasoning to make my batter.

Mmmmm, beer batter. Never used pancake mix, I bet that is good. I usually use the beer batter mix from Golden Dipt.

As you get older time is so valuable. It actually doesn't get any more valuable, you just start to realize how valuable. I would love to have time to go catch some catfish and try these out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As you get older time is so valuable. It actually doesn't get any more valuable, you just start to realize how valuable. I would love to have time to go catch some catfish and try these out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know people always tell me "You just have to make time!", easier said than done. Only the 2nd time I have been fishing this year! I hope to get my priorities "reprioritized" once my youngest graduates high school in 2018. Sadly my kids didnt ever grow a strong desire to fish and hunt. They will join me, but it is not something they beg to do. I know that my time with them is limited (as they grow up and move on in life) so I try to focus on the activities that they are interested in for the time being. Already at the stage in life where I hope I have Grandkids and they want to hang out with Grandpa cause he takes them hunting, fishing and lets them play in the dirt!

Fried is awesome but I will throw out a different option. Give fillets a light coat of olive oil and good sprinkle of blackened seasoning. If you have a gas grill cook fillets in cast iron skillet on the grill. If not turn stove fan on high if cooking inside. I like to top that with a crawfish gravy. Start with a medium dark roux with onions and garlic, salt and pepper and a bit of cayenne. I use clam juice for stock. Bring to a boil then thin if needed with more juice or water. When gravy is done add cleaned crawfish tails and let it go for about 5-6 minutes. Spoon gravy over catfish fillets and serve with saffron rice and favorite grilled veggies.