Bass Pro buys Cabelas

Not all that impressed the last 10-15yrs or so either. But some of that reflects a change to sourcing gobs of stuff from China. Am I going to get a Cabelas branded boot which was usa made and a great price to last 12-13yrs like previous ones buying today. Probably not.....

I would agree with a lot of the above few posts, but the Wooltimate/windshear clothing is still very good for the money, IMO.

Like everyone else, I got a Cabela's VISA for the points. Back when they opened the Dundee store in 2002 +/-. For the past 10 years I have been a Black card member as like many I run all of my business expenses across the card. The amount of points racked up can be huge. But besides cashing in the points, I cannot remember the last time that I actually spent real money at a Cabela's (online or store). I bet it has been close to 10 years now. Same goes for Bass Pro. Once you have been in one of their stores you have seen them all. As to their gear, it just seems like I can find more specific/better/less expensive selections through many of the other online outlets. Honestly, Amazon Prime gets probably 75% of my hunting business anymore. The rest is spread over specific smaller online retailers and manufacturer direct purchases.

If they keep with their points on their cards, then I will still use the system to acquire points for free gear/clothing/guns. If I can then do that at BP also ... I guess this merger is fine by me.

But I think for the industry as a whole this has a monopoly feel to it. Maybe hunters will start going back to smaller local sources for their spending. That would be a good thing.

all of my outerwear is cabela's brand. when i got it , it was the best design/quality available. hopefully, when i need to replace it, there will be better stuff out there. (hint: no back (leaky) pocket on pants or bibs).

I start shopping for cabelas when there store brand clothes when they are 50% off. All of the clothes I have from there I consider top notch and have been really happy with. Cabelas sales and bargain cave seems to vastly exceed bp. Hope they keep that going.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Been a black card holder for years and run my business thru it for points. Glad to hear BP will give points as well. The nearest cabelas to me is Vegas but BP is 50 miles away. I bought Cabelas 7 months ago@$41 so happy now@$63. Not a bad sale price for 2 guys tying flys and selling them thru the mail from Nebraska. Always had good service from Cabelas.

LOL! You are the only one who gets it here NoFo ... shareholder value ... ;)

BTW ... to all of you who think the "sportsman" will suffer, you are correct as you all drove this transaction if you stopped paying a little bit more for brand quality items.

Demand lower prices, pay for generic branded items, you just told all of the retailers you care nothing for quality and are willing to support the dilution of private ownership & branded quality. BP & Cabelas, just like Walmart, Home Depot, etc. have proven the consumer cares more for a 5% price difference than quality.

NoFo ... I would not trust that BP will support the points program, I am cashing mine out !

all of my outerwear is cabela's brand. when i got it , it was the best design/quality available. hopefully, when i need to replace it, there will be better stuff out there. (hint: no back (leaky) pocket on pants or bibs).

How ole are you?

How ole are you?
48. i've had my dry plus rain gear and cold weather bibs and parka for 10 plus years now. comfort, warmth, waterproof/breathable, and price on sale all made the stuff a no-brainer. their old "elite fleece" parka and bibs are like wearing warm/waterproof pajamas. i don't believe they sell them anymore.

Congrats to NoFo for being the only one who gets it here. LOL.

Natty ... keep demanding lower prices and discounts, and you get more "box stores". This means more jobs shifted overseas cause you cannot lower costs on materials, you can only lower costs on labor, employee benefits, insurance, OSHA, EPA, regulatory, etc. costs ....

I guess in Westerm Mass & Conn, and upsate NY, the economy and over abudnace of jobs is so good that no worries mate ... right?

I won't buy a cabelas brand anything. I used to until an old member here told me how it worked. They take a manufacturers product and market it. Once sales hit a decent level they private label it out of China and put the screws to their original supplier.

Just got their optics catalog and found it funny it's all their stuff. No Zeiss or Swarovski?

Natty ... keep demanding lower prices and discounts, and you get more "box stores". This means more jobs shifted overseas cause you cannot lower costs on materials, you can only lower costs on labor, employee benefits, insurance, OSHA, EPA, regulatory, etc. costs ....

I guess in Westerm Mass & Conn, and upsate NY, the economy and over abudnace of jobs is so good that no worries mate ... right?

Hi Tree Spud. No, no. Things here are just as they are elsewhere. You are 100% spot on. The downtown of the small town I grew up in began suffering in the mid-80's as the malls and big box stores moved in. Now it is just a boarded up main drag with a Subway and a coffee shop. No jobs. No manufacturing. Pathetic. We just lost our last lumber and hardware store. It's a phenomenon that happens with any "big box store" model...education, health care, contracting, agriculture, etc. Bigger is cheaper and more cost effective...but the product tends to be crap.

I just thought your comment was a bit condescending, as is everybody but NoFo is ignorant to these facts. Save for pure arrogance, not sure what led you to that assumption?

For what it's worth...I just bought a $3700 log splitter...hand-made made in Rochester, NY by a company whose owner answers his own phone. I could have bought 3 made in China or Mexico splitters for that price. But I wanted to support a US company and I wanted a quality splitter. And yes, last week I bought a whole bunch of cheap ass shit from Cabelas...all made overseas...that I know won't last me a year of heavy use in the field. It's my assumption that most guys on the site probably look for quality when they can...support US businesses when they can...but also, like me, probably look for a cheap pair of rubbers boots or good deals on treestands from the Box Stores every now and then.

I just sincerely hope that this buyout doesn't "cheapen" the Cabela's higher end "store branded" products. Many of them are still very good products and provide good value for the dollar. If Bass Pro wants to make "their" own brand look to be the "better buy", I have a fear they will try shortcutting the quality of the Cabela's brand to push their own.

First, keep in mind Cabelas makes NOTHING to my knowledge. What they do is go to small businesses like mine, and say sure we will consider carrying your product (which they did to us). First we want $40,000 worth of free product to put in our stores (which they did). Then they say I know you allow a 40 percent margin for your retailers after you the manufacturer takes your percentage, the sales rep takes his percentage, and you pay your 11 percent excise tax, but we want a 50% margin (which they did). And, finally we want you to change your designs on your product slightly because they are just too well built right now and will last too long (which they did). What we did, "thank you very much for your interest, your founders started tying flies our of their house, and we respect small businesses and businessmen. We will just continue selling to the small bow shops and give them something you don't have".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think Foggy has a somewhat similar story with shooting sticks.

We have a sporting goods store in our family so I have a little knowledge in this. Walmart will have the manufactures make the same looking product a little different and a little cheaper. They will put it in the same package and call it the same(or almost the same name). Then you factor in their volume discount on top of that. The consumer compares prices between the mom and pop store and Walmart and think they are getting a great deal at Wally. They have no idea they are getting a different product. That being said the best thing that happened to our store was Walmart moving in next door. My uncle was terrified at first but soon realized they were incompetent when it came to service. His business has increased every year for the 20+ years they have been neighbors. It was funny in the early years they put on some huge sale and he would go in and buy every item they had. The best was when they would run their slug sale the week before deer season. He would buy every box. They would then have to send all their customers to him because he was the only one with slugs. After a couple years of that they started putting limits on their sales items.

Living only 25 minutes from the Bass Pro in Springfield, MO, we head up there around once a month to let our daughter walk around. They've got a ton of stuff for her to look at, and she spends about an hour or more each time. It's definitely more of a museum than any of the other stores. Also, the catalog outlet is nice. I've stumbled into some deals there that luck was definitely on my side that day :) Although, that's not the norm

Like everyone else, I got a Cabela's VISA for the points. Back when they opened the Dundee store in 2002 +/-. For the past 10 years I have been a Black card member as like many I run all of my business expenses across the card. The amount of points racked up can be huge. But besides cashing in the points, I cannot remember the last time that I actually spent real money at a Cabela's (online or store). I bet it has been close to 10 years now. Same goes for Bass Pro. Once you have been in one of their stores you have seen them all. As to their gear, it just seems like I can find more specific/better/less expensive selections through many of the other online outlets. Honestly, Amazon Prime gets probably 75% of my hunting business anymore. The rest is spread over specific smaller online retailers and manufacturer direct purchases.

If they keep with their points on their cards, then I will still use the system to acquire points for free gear/clothing/guns. If I can then do that at BP also ... I guess this merger is fine by me.

But I think for the industry as a whole this has a monopoly feel to it. Maybe hunters will start going back to smaller local sources for their spending. That would be a good thing.

Amazon is dangerous! But I have found some sweet deals!
Check out these RAGE clones!!!
Identical to hypodermics
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016...+100+grain&dpPl=1&dpID=512FkSGhD0L&ref=plSrch

Dam It!
I just paid $44 for 3 of the real deal!

Amazon is dangerous! But I have found some sweet deals!
Check out these RAGE clones!!!
Identical to hypodermics
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016...+100+grain&dpPl=1&dpID=512FkSGhD0L&ref=plSrch
Ton of people on AT shooting them. I bought 40 of them but have yet to shoot a deer with them. They spun true and hit with field tips. Should be fine for turkeys and yotes. Not sure I want to put one through the the shoulder of a 200 lb buck just yet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk