All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple pics

Dan Wombles

5 year old buck +
roxbury russet, harrison, yates. Late frost cut back on many of my varieties this year, but these have some apples.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 93
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 86
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 85
Beautiful trees! I can only hope in a few years mine look like that. They look to be well cared for. I am not far from you and I've heard you mention Yates many times. I will be ordering some from Stark's for my next planting. Is there any other varieties for deer that you can't live without? I am in southern Adams county probably 45 minutes north of you so I would imagine what works for you is probably decent for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan, how old are those trees and what rootstock are they on?

Golden, Michelin is a late dropper, with many dropping well into December. Arkansas black is hard to beat for a late October/November dropper that crops annually.

These trees are 9 years old on m111 rootstock. 3 years ago, I swiched to grafting on b118 roostock as they grow to same size and produce sooner.

Very nice looking trees!

Arkansas black is doing the best on our place among all the other trees including liberty, enterprise and gold rush!

Dan those look really healthy, always admire those that started before me and seeing what potential is there. Thank you!

These 9 year old trees are over 20' high and 20' wide.

Dan, you have me convinced on Yates. I'm pretty sure I got Yates scions from you and I grafted (1) to B.118 spring of 2015 and it's around 6' tall with a few feathers. I took cuttings from that tree over winter and grafted 4 more to B.118 this spring of 2016 and they are mostly 3' tall now. Really healthy looking trees.

Super looking trees, Dan !! I've been thinking about Yates for a bit. I think I'm gonna have to try one. Agree with you on Ark. Black. Ours at camp hasn't produced yet ( 2nd leaf ) but it grows great and has a nice shape of it's own accord. Can't wait to see what next year brings on the Ark. Black. Thanks for sharing the pix and info.

Do your Roxbury russet hold apples or drop them?