All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9 point down.

Livesintrees

5 year old buck +
I’ve been hesitant of shooting this deer if given a solid opportunity. Part of me wished he never showed up and part of me knew he was a good first buck to take on the property. Well today he came out and stood 45 yards away while my muzzleloader was in hand. I took him. It’s bittersweet bc another year and he could have been a very very good good buck but in my mind he’s a great first buck on the new land. The bar is set higher for next season. A6D71DD1-F977-4339-A84D-E20FD3AC8B31.jpeg

Comgrats!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Congrats!

Good looking deer, congrats!

Nice buck ... congrats!

Congrats.

Beauty! You should be proud, not disappointed.

That's a nice buck! I would've shot him.

That buck's a dandy !! Congrats. Nothing wrong with him.

Shooter for sure, congrats on a nice buck! Hopefully a buck as nice shows up to fill his spot next year.

Thanks guys. I know nothings wrong. and I am proud of taking him. It’s all just bittersweet as we’ve all been there. The woods are now void of “my buck”. I’ve seen him many times. He never went nocturnal at all. I would intentionally not go to the tree stands that I knew he was walking past every day during daylight. I tried to put myself in a position where if I didn’t see him I couldn’t shoot him. I know that doesn’t make sense. But he happened to come by in a different area where I was and the rest is history

I tried to put myself in a position where if I didn’t see him I couldn’t shoot him. I know that doesn’t make sense. But he happened to come by in a different area

It makes perfect sense. You tried to avoid the nine point and get an older buck. You didn't find an older buck. You found the nine point in spite of your efforts to avoid him. So you shot the most mature buck available and filled your freezer. Sounds like you did everything right.

Most, or more like 98% of the guys hunting in NJ would have been wearing out any stand they thought that guy was walking by.

I know "1" guy that might have let him walk. And that's questionable...

First deer on new land, I say Congradulations!

The last couple of bucks I've shot were deer that I had thought I should let walk... but they stood in front of me... worked a scrape... made a rub... took their time and finally I broke and shot them. Of course they "could" have gotten bigger with more age but they were dang fun to shoot when I did. Why else are we headed out to stands anyway? I like to shoot deer and a nice set of antlers is always fun stuff. I say good job and have fun with it. Nice deer and probably a blast of a hunt with great memories. Good job, again!

But dude! Open your eyes for your next hero pose pic!

The last couple of bucks I've shot were deer that I had thought I should let walk... but they stood in front of me... worked a scrape... made a rub... took their time and finally I broke and shot them. Of course they "could" have gotten bigger with more age but they were dang fun to shoot when I did. Why else are we headed out to stands anyway? I like to shoot deer and a nice set of antlers is always fun stuff. I say good job and have fun with it. Nice deer and probably a blast of a hunt with great memories. Good job, again!

But dude! Open your eyes for your next hero pose pic!
My buddy took like a dozen. They all were funny so believe it or not that’s the best one! Haha

Most, or more like 98% of the guys hunting in NJ would have been wearing out any stand they thought that guy was walking by.

I know "1" guy that might have let him walk. And that's questionable...

First deer on new land, I say Congradulations!
Your right about that. When I showed trail cam pics to a couple guys I know who hunt they were like shoot him. Can’t let him walk. That’s huge for NJ (which is not the case at all). I like to think I’m one of the other 2% you speak of bc I know better!

Nice deer, congratulations!

Don't beat yourself up - in most places that's a darn good buck. And there's no guarantee he'd have survived any late season hunters, poachers, or the highways to grow bigger next year.

Very nice!

Great buck, you should have no regrets, as you never know if he might get shot by someone else, hit by a car etc. Seemed to me to be destiny, and you don't want to mess with that! Good luck on a even bigger one next year!