2-4,D

Nova

5 year old buck +
How long after spraying 2-4,D do you need to wait before planting rye/oats?

This is either a trick question, or I'm an idiot. Rye and oats are grasses, 2,4-D is a broadleaf herbicide. I would think it wouldn't hurt it at all. I would read the label of the chemical you used to be certain...... Maybe we will both learn something.

don't use it within 1k feet of any grapes you want to stay alive............

Someone smarter than me will chime in, but I wouldn't hesitate to plant the same day. Seeds will take a little while to germinate, and 2-4,D only takes out broad leaf plants.

I have sprayed roundup and planted trees the same day with success. So I might be a little crazy too.

-John

Glyphosate has no residual soil effect and seed can be planted the same day you spray. That is not true for all herbicides. It really depends on what you are planting. Here is a table that may be of help to folks in general about how long to wait after application before planting: http://extension.psu.edu/plants/cro...rbicide-persistence/herbicide-carryover-table

Thanks,

Jack

This is either a trick question, or I'm an idiot. Rye and oats are grasses, 2,4-D is a broadleaf herbicide. I would think it wouldn't hurt it at all. I would read the label of the chemical you used to be certain...... Maybe we will both learn something.

Nope, not a trick question and you're not an idiot, I know 2-4,D is a broadleaf killer, just didn't know about residual on new seed. I'll read the 2-4, d label info some more.

Thanks for the table Jack, that is helpful!

Glyphosate has no residual soil effect and seed can be planted the same day you spray. That is not true for all herbicides. It really depends on what you are planting. Here is a table that may be of help to folks in general about how long to wait after application before planting: http://extension.psu.edu/plants/cro...rbicide-persistence/herbicide-carryover-table

Thanks,

Jack
Thanks for the link, Jack.
What exactly does "half life" on the chart refer to and how does that pertain to food plotting?

half life should be taken as the amount of time for the product to loose half of its effectiveness. as for plotting, each plant has its own level of "tolerance" for a given herbicide, that is why labels list different rates for control of different plants. if a soil active herbicide is used, you would want to wait until the half life brings the level in the soil down to a level that is below the point that it kills your plot you are using it on.

Milk nailed it.

Growing plants and seeds needing to germinate are two different subjects. Believe it calls for 15 days but don't hold me to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a trick question, but the answer is a tricky one to formulate. Herbicides that target one class of plants while being ineffective against others (monocots vs dicots - grass vs broadleaf), depend on the non-target plant's ability to metablize the herbicide without harm. The plant's ability to do that is dependent on it's growth stage. I think of using 2,4D to kill broadleaf (dicots) weeds in grasses (monocots like rye and oats) AFTER the small grain is fully "tillered but before jointing."

http://www.smallgrains.ncsu.edu/_Pubs/Xtrn/AgChemHerbicides.pdf
"OATS Postemergence, Most winter annual broadleaf weeds except chickweed, henbit, and knawel...

2,4-D amine, MOA 4 (various brands) 3.8 SL 1 pt 0.48
Apply after oats are fully tillered but before jointing. Spraying oats too young or after jointing can cause deformed heads, reduced yields, and uneven ripening. Also, oats are less tolerant of 2,4-D than wheat. Better results are obtained when daytime temperatures are above 50 degrees F. Liquid nitrogen may be used as the carrier for 2,4-D. Premix in water (1 part 2,4-D to 4 parts water) and add mixture to nitrogen with strong"