1995-96 apple survival during test winter

sandbur

5 year old buck +
At Grand Rapids, Mn university experimental station.
90f5e7df3167033283e875257de0163c.jpg
f6348d5f8626b175430810421f206c1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although it should not get as cold here, as you experience there , I have some of the Best and Intermediate Survivors, and none of the worst. Very interesting. Brrrrrrrr!

Plant crabs. Trailman is not on the list, but it is reported as very hardy.
9c538987f123c5287621e93b6faacc2c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winter 95-96 was about 25years ago semi dwarf rootstock life expectancy is generally about 20 -30 years , given my gambling nature those are fair odds to get many crops out of desert apple plantings . Don't get me wrong I love the crabs for great dependable yields . Given I personally probably wont be here another 25 years . Who knows are we in climate change if that is so how long before hardiness moves further north . Just a few random thoughts

If the Greenland ice sheet melting away, Arctic sea ice at all time low amounts, and 95 degree temps. in Alaska for a stretch of time don't convince you - nothing will. These are all verifiable by recorded data & aerial pix. If I see bear tracks in the snow and someone tells me there aren't any bear tracks there in the snow ………………. I'll go with the tracks.

We get nowhere near the cold of Minn. & Wisc., but I can say that crabs are just less hassle & are tougher than "regular" apples. Diseases don't seem to affect them as much either, at least here.