11 Pointer in Indiana

DEC

A good 3 year old buck
It has been a great year. My daughters both tagged out on bucks so my season was a success even if I didn't kill anything. All last summer I had been watching two bucks in particular, both high 140's class deer. Both deer were killed by other bow hunters (I know both of the young men and I could not be happier for them both), so I really did not know what to expect for my opportunities. I had some other bucks on camera as well that were decent and figured if the mood struck me I would kill one. Mid last week I found that one of these such bucks had made a home in my swamp. I watched him come out of the swamp two out of three afternoons, so with the wind forecast right on Friday morning, I hatched a plan to set up on him. Sure enough at about 9:30 in the morning here he came, checking thickets for does. I ended up working the grunt call pretty hard to convince him that he should check out his bedroom a little earlier than he intended. At 28 yards I let an arrow fly and it was over. Not the biggest buck that I have on camera, but it is my first main frame 10 with a bow and I am very happy with him. This buck is icing on the cake for what has been an amazing fall of deer hunting.

Here is video of the hunt.

Nice buck Derek - the activity level here has picked up as of last weekend......if things go well this gun opener is going to be real exciting for some folks! Good to hear your daughters had success as well.

Reactions: DEC
Congratulations!

Great pic!

Congrats!

Congrats!

Nice buck - good going !!

Congrats fellow Hoosier! Great hunt, what camera you running? (mic set up too as it seemed you had a wireless set up running in recovery footage)

Congrats fellow Hoosier! Great hunt, what camera you running? (mic set up too as it seemed you had a wireless set up running in recovery footage)
Hey Tyni - glad to see you over here. Been a while since I have seen/heard from you - don't be such a stranger.....or at least any stranger that the rest of us!:D

Hey Tyni - glad to see you over here. Been a while since I have seen/heard from you - don't be such a stranger.....or at least any stranger that the rest of us!:D

Yeah I sadly wasn't even aware of this forum amazingly until somewhat recently. Hope to be around and share all that I'm doing.

Not sure you know, picked up 22 acres this spring and are heavy in planning mode for its future and will share our good and bad here along the way.

Yeah I sadly wasn't even aware of this forum amazingly until somewhat recently. Hope to be around and share all that I'm doing.

Not sure you know, picked up 22 acres this spring and are heavy in planning mode for its future and will share our good and bad here along the way.
Good for you. Look forward to seeing you around.

Nice!

My camera is a Canon XA20. Shotgun mic is a Rode NTG1 and my wireless setup is a Sennheiser (I don't remember the model). Muddy Hunter camera arm and a Manfrotto 701HDV fluid head. Lots of other misc stuff too. This is my main camera set up, but I run DSLR's, small digitals, and even GoPros as needed.